Our Commitment to Sustainability & Community
From its inception, Robert Mondavi Winery has demonstrated a deep commitment to both our environment and our local Napa Valley community. We were the first to formally adopt a natural farming approach to the cultivation of our estate vineyards, which extends beyond rules and strictures of organic farming and considers overall wine quality and the impact on the greater environment. Our Summer Concerts have funded local community arts and music programs for over 45 years.
As a joint effort in 1995, the Robert Mondavi Winery and the Napa County Resource Conservation District created the Napa Sustainable Winegrowing Group (NSWG). The NSWG holds several annual workshops on current topics in sustainable winegrowing such as water conservation, quality improvement, cover cropping, erosion control and the latest in Integrated Pest Management techniques. During the past decade, Robert Mondavi Winery has undertaken further experiments in natural farming and in 1998 became the first winery to receive an “Innovator” award from California's Environmental Protection Agency.
CERTIFICATIONS AND AWARDS
- Certified California Sustainable Winegrowing
- Napa Green Certified Winery
- Napa Green Certified Land
ONGOING ENVIRONMENTAL PROJECTS
- Investment in energy-efficient practices including insulating wine tanks, installing an on-demand Gylycol system, replacing air compressors with on-demand VFD units, new more efficient pond aerators, and retrofitting high-efficient replacement lights in the winery resulting in electricity use decreasing by about 22%.
- Replacement of four high-efficient Ray Pak Hi Delta Hot water boilers and other gas-saving initiatives, resulting in a 42% gas-therms savings.
- Initiating a winery-wide single-stream recycling program, and installing a plastic bailer resulting in a 62% reduction of the winery’s solid waste going to landfills in the first year.
- Implemented green waste and food waste pickup.
- Started a “Green Team” that meets quarterly to identify and address conservation opportunities. Team members collects and recycles bottles at our Summer Concerts.
- Implemention of water conservation programs, including repurposing retired steel fermentation tanks to collect runoff water for re-irrigation, saving millions of gallons of water per year.
- Reporting our greenhouse gas emissions to the Carbon Disclosure Project.
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AND COMMUNITY
- Our safety committee meets monthly to identify and address work safety concerns.
- We are an active member in local trade organizations and community groups including: Napa Valley Vintners, Winegrowers of Napa County, Oakville Winegrowers, Concierge Alliance Napa Valley, San Francisco Convention and Visitors Bureau, and Chambers of Commerce in Napa, Yountville, and St. Helena.
- Active in our local community including:
- Hosting our Summer Concert Series to fund various community efforts like the Napa Valley Symphony and the Napa Valley Unified School District
- Supporting Family Service Napa Valley, which helps Napa County residents deal with mental health issues
- Investing in local art programs including the Oxbow School, the Lincoln Theater in Yountville, and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- Donating significant resources to the University of California, Davis
You must be 21 years of age or older to enter this site.
Please enter your date of birth below.